Throwback Avocado Dip

Hi, all. Many of you know that I was married to a guy named Steve. Note the past tense. Right. Coincidentally, I recently moved. Moving requires packing stuff up, which can lead a girl to rediscovering cookbooks she'd forgotten about. I found this 1950s one devoted to Philly Cream Cheese! Who knew?

I love vintage cookbooks especially when they’re about a specific product. I actually found a recipe for A-1 Steak Sauce that was like A-1 Steak Sauce poured over canned ham and served with a green olive. This was fast food for the 1950s housewife: open a can, pour over a condiment and there you go. Eat up. Oh, and pour another Manhattan.

This dip seemed appealing because there was very little effort involved, and also because I had a sack of avocados I needed to use.

Ingredients


Philly Avocado Dip

1 cup mashed avocado

1 8-oz package Philadelphia Brand Cream Cheese

3 tablespoons lemon juice

1 teaspoon finely chopped onion

1 teaspoon salt


Dash of Worcestershire sauce


THE PROCESS

This was a surprisingly easy recipe since it requires no cooking. Mostly you just mash stuff. I didn’t even bring the cheese to room temperature. Nope. I just twisted open that avocado (once I cut around it), mashed about 2 avocados in a bowl with a fork, then added the avocados and the rest of the ingredients into my Kitchen Aid with the paddle attachment and blended.

I didn’t have regular onion on hand so I used some purple onion, and ended up liking the color.

After the dip was done, I kept looking for something else to do. I was done, so I just drank some wine.

THE VERDICT

It’s a great dip! Easy. And it’s perfect right after you make it, or refrigerate it and let the flavors meld. It’s creamy with a little of the wonderful 1950s spice AKA Worcestershire sauce. It’s a great green color, but it could use something else. Maybe top it with some pretty chopped tomatoes.


My BFFs and I tried a variety of things, but we liked potato chips and snow peas from Sadie's garden the best. It would be great with blue corn tortilla chips, pita, or other veggies.  It’s easy. It’s green. It’s got cheese in it. It doesn’t turn all brown while it sits there on the buffet table. (We know. We stared at it for more than an hour. No brown!) What more could you ask?

Comments

Popular Posts